Monday, November 1, 2010

Two Years

On October 22, I celebrated 2 years of being here in Costa Rica. I many ways I feel like I've been here infinitely longer-- I can't remember what is likes to be able to do all ten items on your to-do list in one day, or to experience consecutive days without rain. I'm overwhelmed when I look around the Tutoring Center seeing 20 kids there nearly everyday, and wonder how we grew so fast. But I also thought I would be perfectly fluent in Spanish by now, able to discuss philosophy and my greatest dreams without thinking about how to conjugate verbs or where to put pronouns. (I'm learning to recognize this is an unrealistic goal )

I love Costa Rica and love the work I get to be a part of here. Yes, it is so hard being away from family and community. I often feel like I'm missing out on huge pieces of your lives, and it's challenging to share life here in away that makes sense for those of you who've never been here. But we are trying.

My initial 2 year community with SI is up, but I don't feel my time in Costa Rica has come to an end. I'm extending my commitment for another year. There are many exciting things coming up, especially with the Tutoring Center. I'm excited to see where we will go.

Here are a few of my favorite things....

Family, Friends-both new and old








Outdoor Adventures







Exploring San Jose





Our kids!




1 comment:

Benje Williams said...

wow, cant believe it's been 2 years either! so proud and inspired by all that you've done in such a quickly moving period of time, and equally excited to see what the next year holds!!