Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I'll be home for Christmas!

As many of you know, dealing with government applications and processes can often be rather frustrating, but this one has turned out to be a blessing in disguises. Before I left the US, I was told (multiple times) by the Costa Rica consulate that I needed to turn in my application for residency in Costa Rica. Now it appears that some laws and procedures have changed and I can no longer turn in my application here. I must return to my home country and turn in the application at the Costa Rican consulate there. And it needs to be done as soon as possible before the laws change and my paperwork expires. Of course!

While initially this was extremely frustrating- I wasn't planning on going home till next summer, I didn't budget for it... what if the laws change again??? But despite all of these unknowns, I now see the forced trip home as a huge blessing! I get to be home with family for Christmas; which is the best possible present ever.

Without residency I would be forced to leave the country every 90 days which would get expensive and take up a lot of time. Also, I would be unable to get a cell phone, and other aspects of daily life here would be complicated. There are several laws currently in the Senate here in Costa Rica, that could severely affect my application for residency. Please pray that they won't be passed in time to hinder my applications and that everything will go smoothly during my appointment on the 19th.

No comments: