Monday, April 13, 2009

Semana Santa

This past week was Semana Santa- Holy Week. In Latin America, Easter is a week long affair. In many ways, I really appreciate the extra time, because it provides the opportunity to really reflect on how great a sacrifice Christ made for us. Often, in the States, Easter sneaks up us. We are left with no time to prepare our hearts and meditate on God's great gift of love and grace to us through His son, Jesus. Here in Costa Rica, thanks mostly to the catholic church, there is a greater emphasis on Good Friday and Christ suffering on the cross for us. On Friday we observed a reenactment of Jesus's trial and procession to cross. Granted there were a few aspects of the procession I didn't quite understand, like who were the ladies with star halos, but overall, it was a powerful reminder of how much God loves us. He would send His son to die in our place. And if He does love us that much, He certainly is not going to abandon us in this world. He wouldn't send His son to die for us, just to leave us all alone here on earth. He wants to be a part of every aspect of our life; He deserves to be a part of every aspect.

I'm currently reading a book by Max Lucado called He Chose the Nails: What God Did to Win Your Heart. I highly recommend it. He looks at each detail of the cross and what God is promising us through it. On Good Friday I read the chapter "I Have Redeemed You and I Will Keep You: God's Promise in the Blood and Water". Lucado explains how Jesus's blood is what saves us once and for all; we can never be 'more' saved than the day we accept Christ. The water represents God's work in us through the Holy Spirit. It is the work He continues to do in us each day to make us more like Him. It is the work He has created for us to walk in. These works aren't what save us, but they draw us closer to God as we experience more of Him. I want to experience more of Him; I hope you do too.

1 comment:

Danmark said...

While I am not a big fan of Max Lucado, I found this book to be a wonderful read and would like to go back and use it as a Bible study. I read it for a book club and fell in love with it after the first few pages. We used it as a pre-Easter selection and it surpassed my expectations. It definitely deepens your appreciation of all that was done on the cross.