Monday, March 23, 2009

Driving

Yesterday I officially drove for my first time, in Costa Rica. And let me tell you it was no small drive around the block. It was the 30 minute drive to the airport, through 3 rotundas, and to the complete opposite side of the valley. Granted it was Sunday, so there was less traffic, but still it was a great feat. Now that it's behind me, I really want to have my own mode of transportation. I realized, while driving, how much easier many facets of my life would be if we had a car. Going to the grocery store and not having to take buses and taxis. Being able to run more than one errand a day. Not having to spend almost 2 hours on the bus, for an hour long Spanish class. Being free to leave my own house after 6pm. I think this is the biggest factor, feeling free to live my life a little more like how I would if I were at home in the States. While a car certainly is not a necessity for life here, it would simplify a lot of daily task, especially once we have teams coming.

It just so happens, that one of my teammates, has a friend who is selling an old car for $1,000. Split between Cailah and I, that's not too bad. We're hoping to check it out this week. Used cars always make me a little nervous since I don't really know the first things about cars. But you can't beat the price, and my teammates know a few things about automobiles. I'm praying if it's not a good car for us, that it will be gone by the time we are able to check it out.

1 comment:

j.hakim said...

that would be really nice, i'll say a prayer ;)