Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Guatemala!!!

This last week I had the pleasure of being part of a 35+ Women's Outreach at the Student's International (SI) base in Guatemala. We were women from all over the globe, but we came together to learn from each other and be apart of the work God is doing in Guatemala.

The SI Costa Rica Ladies


We spent the first part of the week living with host family in the community where we were working. This is our host family.
They were amazing!!! The dad, Anecleto, probably told us over a dozen times that we weren't guest, we were family. They were so kind and truly opened up their home and their hearts to us.


I was blessed to be able to work alongside my good friend, Rachel, at her school. She teaches English classes there for all the grades. But since I am a Spanish-speaker we decided my help could best be used in the overcrowded kindergarten class. I loved getting to hangout with those kids all day. I have really miss working with kids on a regular basis, so this week was such a treat for me.





On Mardi Gras, all the schools celebrate with a carnival. The kids come dressed in costumes and much of the day is dedicated to getting as much Pica Pica into your classmates hair! (Pica Pica, is a painted eggshell that has been stuffed with confetti) It was absolutely hilarious!



Even Debbie and I got our share of Pica Pica!


But after it was all over, all the kids helped clean up the school.


Outside of the time at the school, I really enjoyed getting to spend time with old friends, as well as make new ones, especially among the Guatemala staff. It was so great to be able to share with each other and encourage one another as many of us are going through the challenging time of transition.


Over 13 years ago, on outreach with SI in Guatemala, I felt called to God's work in Latin America. It was so exciting to be there again and now that I am now fulling that call. There is so much more I could share. If you want to hear more, email. You also can check out the rest of the pictures from the trip below
Guatemala

1 comment:

Ryan and Caroline Holloway said...

Uhhh I was so jealous when I heard you got to go to Guatemala. It must have been so fun to have everyone together again!! I'm glad to hear you had a great time!